What is Prosthetic?
Prosthodontics is also known as dental prosthetics or prosthetic dentistry. Dental Prosthetics is the speciality in dentistry pertaining to the diagnosis, dental treatment planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, comfort, appearance and health of patients with clinical conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth and/or oral and maxillofacial tissues using biocompatible substitutes.
Decreased Facial Height is back to normal using Aesthetic Dentistry!
Replacement of Tooth immediately after Extraction
Crowns / Caps – Enhance the Esthetics and Function
In the following situations, crowns are indicated:
1) A root canal is treated to the teeth with an extensive loss in the tooth structure.
2) When there is a tooth fracture at the gum level or extensive decay, then a crown is indicated as the preferred treatment for the teeth.
3) To enhance the esthetics and function sometimes on the developmentally malformed ( Discoloured, weak teeth) malposed or malaligned teeth crown is required.
A Bridge of Crowns
A bridge is the conjunction of crowns, which is used to restore the missing tooth or teeth. Just like a normal bridge where support is taken from adjacent teeth for replacing the missing teeth or tooth. The main advantages of this are, that it is fixed and is self-cleansing prosthesis and hence the patient does not require to remove it at night.
Depending upon the extent of dental aesthetics and economy different types of material are used to fabricate crowns and bridges such as :
1) Nickel chrome metal.
3) Tooth Colored – Acrylic with/without metal coping Ceramic with/without metal coping.
4) Metal-free – Procera empress.
Flexible Removable Dentures
The age-old, thick, heavy, hard & removable partial dentures are now replaced with the modern lightweight, thin & soft, flexible dentures which gives a sign of relief to patients. These are popularly called as Vallplast Dentures, the material is stated as an art of Thermoplastics Nylon denture work.
The main advantage in this type of teeth treatment is that it is very kind to the soft tissues as well as teeth as does not have dental clasps wires/bars. There is an absence of virtual irritation, ulcers or denture soreness which are commonly seen with acrylic dentures. This is effective in the patients which are known as acrylic allergy.
These are easy to clean and do not break if fallen, hence it requires less maintenance